If you work in an industry that requires you to handle hazardous materials, it is important that you are aware of the proper techniques to use in order to handle these materials. Incorrectly handled, hazardous materials pose risks to your health and to the safety of everyone in the facility. How can you stay safe? Start by implementing the tips below into the way that you do things.
1. Wear gloves and safety goggles when handling hazardous materials. Also use any other protective gear that is needed for the specific task you are completing.
2. Be sure that you’ve completed the proper hazmat training ahead of time. Most companies offer this service to their employees. Don’t miss the chance to benefit from the training.
3. Be sure to label all containers properly. If a container is not labeled, do not make the mistake of assuming you know what it is. This is a big risk that you shouldn’t take so willingly.
4. Never mix chemicals together.
5. Read labels before using any hazardous materials. There is important information found on the labels that can protect you and keep you safe.
6. Do not eat or drink when working in a hazardous environment. You can contaminate the food and other items that you touch.
7. When in doubt, ask questions and do not procedure until you are comfortable handling the task. Nothing is more important than your safety.
8. Use chemicals and other items only for their intended purpose. If you think that it will work for another project, still don’t take the risks.
9. Always work with caution when using chemicals.
10. Store all of the chemicals and materials that you use properly.
Staying safe is important when working in an environment where potential risks exist. Make sure the tips above are used to keep everyone at your facility safe and protected.